An introduction to BOSI Dna
Nuvem9 are Certified Advisors in UK & Ireland for BOSIDna and further detail is provided on our dedicated BOSI page. Years of research on thousands of entrepreneurs led to the discovery of BOSI by Joe Abraham. Joe discovered he could categorize a behavioural quadrant that segments entrepreneurs into 4 very distinct and different groups. Out of this research came the BOSI Entrepreneur Test – a quick and fun tool to identify your core entrepreneurial DNA profile. (You can take your FREE test here). As Certified Advsiors, Nuvem9 have been working with Companies on a deeper Team Entrepreneur Assessment. By combining the results of individual assessments and plotting these on a grid with the rest of senior and middle management, business owners can gain a huge level of insights into pains and frustrations in the Company as a whole.
The following is a case study of a Company we have worked with and a summary of the results and decisions taken as a result of the Team Entrepreneur Assessment. (Note, for the purposes of client confidentiality we have not disclosed the company name or location).
Overview of the pre Team Entrepreneur Assessment issues
The Client was owner managed , with the Founder and majority shareholder, still actively involved in the business. The Client is a software as a service provider and had gained early traction via the success of a customer. As the customer grew rapidly, the income, but also reliance on this customer grew annually, until the inevitable decision was taken by the customer to replatform and take the ownership and control of their software inhouse. The Client then embarked on an ambitious path of product development to enable a sales strategy of deploying the software more rapidly and with greater control to the end user. The Company was profitable before accounting for the R&D investment.
Having been working with the Client for a short time it became apparent that the company was not on schedule for the forecast revenues it had anticipated and we suspected the main reasons were the personnel being tasked with delivering the strategic goals. We suggested a BOSI Entrepreneur Team Assessment to see if this backed up our concerns.
The Results of the Team Entrepreneur Assessment
The Team Entrepreneur Assessment results are shown below:
At a high level it was apparent that the primary DNA in the team was opportunist DNA and the least prevalent skill and experience was related to scaling a business.
Key Findings of the Team Entrepreneur Assessment
Using the results of the Team Entrepreneur Assessment, Nuvem9 were able to report the following findings:
- The business was overall too light in Builder skills to enable the strategy identified to be deployed. Coupled with an above average Opportunist team profile, it perfectly illustrated why many creative ideas for lead generation had been identified but very little had been adequately seen through to deliver results. Nuvem9 reported that the Client ‘s management team lacked the overall experience in scaling a business from its current juncture.
- Key insights were provided in the staff serviving in the bonus driven customer facing side of the business, responsible for generating upsales with existing customers. This identified that one member of staff was on the “wrong seat in the bus” and appeared to be much more comfortable as a Specialist, i.e. residing in back office and focussing on a set of tasks for the customers, rather than being motivated by the Opportunist driven, open ended bonus pay structure associated with upselling to customers. In addition, the remaining members of that team were highly Opportunistic and it was clear they were correctly positioned in that role, but lacked the experience to focus and nail one area at a time.
- The Head of Sales showed a good mix of Specialist and Opportunist DNA but lacked the skills necessary to create and manage overarching sales strategy. It was clear that a role was missing in the organisation, being a Builder to guide and drive the vision and scalable systems necessary to support the growth strategy.
- The majority of the product development team were, as expected, Specialists. However, the level of secondary Innovator DNA highlighted that some of the development skills could be more widely utilised in pure research and in a less restrictive environment that would allow innovative and creative thinking to better flourish.
- The DNA of a member of staff performing a core support role was found to be highly Opportunistic. The member of staff showed potential and appetite for taking on a more customer facing and freer role than he was in at present.
What happened next?
After completing the Team Entrepreneur Assessment, we consulted with the Senior Management team and with the Founder on his own. As a direct consquence of this exercise the following was implemented:
- The Company utilised Nuvem9’s experience in growing businesses to create a new Managing Director role. This role effectively took ownership of the revenue generating side of the business and bridged the skills gaps and experience in the core team. This resulted in a clearer strategy being deployed and a much improved relationship with existing customers that created a number of immediate new revenue streams. The Company has also engaged the support of experienced Advisors to further bridge the gap in experience and build up the existing team around that.
- Two staff were redeployed into new roles in the business based on their assessment results.
- The Company recruited new members of staff using the BOSI Dna Assessment as part of the recruiting process. This allowed people with the right mix of skills to be better identified in the recruitment process.
- The sales methodology was rewritten and repositioned to reflect the core skills of the selling staff. As a result the rate of new software deployments in the Company has almost doubled in six months.
The purpose of the entrepreneur test is to allow you to understand your unique entrepreneur DNA profile. By understanding your unique set of skills, strengths, weaknesses, views etc. and by diving deeper into your BOSI Profile, you will learn about its tendencies, strengths and growth areas. This means you will be able to make adjustments to your overall strategy and ongoing decision making to optimize mission-critical areas of your business and life. In business the areas impacted by your BOSI Profile could be:
- Business selection
- Financing decisions
- HR strategy
- Marketing plans
- Logistics and operations
- Choice of business partners & management team
It can also provide you with guidance in wider personal relationships, health, work life balance and your development as a leader. More details are available here.